2021-2022 Academic Catalog 
    Jul 24, 2024  
2021-2022 Academic Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Enrollment Services


Pitt Community College operates under the open-door admissions policy established in the North Carolina General Statute 115.D. All community colleges maintain an open-door admissions policy for applicants who are high school graduates or high school leavers 18 years of age or older. The College has the right place to place these applicants selectively. For admissions information call (252) 493-7232.

General Admissions

The basic requirements for curricular programs are as follows:

  1. The College requires high school graduation or the high school equivalency diploma for all Associate in Arts, Associate in Fine Arts, Associate in Science, Associate in General Education, and Associate in Applied Science degrees and for most diploma and certificate programs. An official high school transcript from a high school recognized by the Department of Education or equivalency certificate is required. (Note that a “certificate of attendance” does not constitute high school graduation). Certain diploma and certificate programs require students to have at least eight units of high school work or special permission granted by the department chair. Those selected programs not requiring high school graduation are:
    Building Construction Technology:
    Residential Carpentry Diploma
    Electrical Systems Technology:
    Basic Wiring Certificate
    Industrial Controls Certificate
    Programmable Logic Controller Certificate
    Welding Technology:
    (diploma and certificate options)
  2. All applicants must provide a valid Residency Certification Number (RCN) issued by the state of NC. Student wishing to obtain an RCN may visit www.ncresidency.org.
  3. All students must submit a high school transcript or equivalency to determine placement in college-level English and Mathematics, based upon High School GPA, High School Equivalency, or SAT/ACT scores. All students who have graduated high school beyond ten years of their PCC acceptance, or who have graduated from a non-U.S. high school or are entering into special entrance programs such as BLET are required to take the RISE assessment test. All transfer students who have successfully earned an Associate degree or higher are not required to submit a high school transcript but must present an official postsecondary transcript to the Admissions and Records Office.
    Visit the Placement Testing portion of the PCC website to view the minimum cuts score policy for SAT/ACT for admissions placement. Students must provide an official copy of their SAT/ACT score report to the PCC Registrar’s Office. The minimum scores are subject to change without notice. For further information about PlacementTesting visit the PCC website or call 252-493-7561.
  4. All new students with the exception of Visiting Students, are strongly encouraged to complete a New Student Orientation (NSO) before registering for classes. These sessions are designed to provide students with the tools needed to be successful at PCC. Students also learn about various support services offered at the college. Orientation sessions occur periodically throughout the year either face-to-face or online.

Admission of Home-Schooled Students

Home-schooled students must submit a copy of the home-school’s approved registration from the state in which they are registered and an official transcript including the graduation date. Please note that the NC Division of Non-Public Education home-school laws apply only to schools enrolling students of compulsory attendance age (at least 7 years of age but not yet 16 years of age.) Home-schools are not empowered by state law to issue diplomas to post high school age students. However, they may obtain their high school diplomas either through the NC Community College adult high school diploma program or through its High School Equivalency (GED®) program.

Visit https://ncadmin.nc.gov/about-doa/divisions/division-non-public-education

Refusal of Admission Policy

In accordance with *23 NCAC 02C.0301d, it is the Policy of Pitt Community College that admission may be refused to any applicant during any period of time that the student is suspended or expelled from any other educational entity. The Office of the Assistant Vice President of Student Support is responsible for applying and enforcing this policy.

New Student Orientation

The Office of New Student Orientation assists incoming students in transition to Pitt Community College. The office collaborates with many campus departments, faculty, and staff to provide important information and to facilitate the course registration process. Mandatory new student orientation is highly encouraged for all new students attending PCC for the first time. New students may complete an orientation session prior to registering for courses. Find additional information on the PCC website at https://pittcc.edu/admissions/student-orientation/.

Placement Testing

The EdReady Assessment test is used by North Carolina’s community colleges to identify student readiness for collegelevel courses, who have been graduated from high school or equivalency, beyond ten years of their PCC acceptance. The EdReady test assesses students’ understanding of general Math, English, and Reading Skills.

Placement testing takes place during select lab hours by appointment. Students may schedule an appointment by utilizing the online appointment scheduler on the PCC Placement Testing website. Distance Learning Students should contact the Placement Testing Office or visit the PCC Placement Testing website for information about distance learning testing. Students who require special accommodations receive a referral to the Accessibility Services Director. A completed PCC application must be on file in order to schedule a placement testing appointment. A picture I.D. is required for testing. Children are not allowed in the testing lab. Students may also complete the placement test at the PCC Farmville Center by appointment.

Students who have taken the EdReady test at another North Carolina community college may have their scores sent to the Pitt Community College Placement Testing Office. These scores can be used to place students into the appropriate English and/or Math course(s). Each placement test can be attempted 2 times by an individual.

Foreign Language Placement Testing

Students who are heritage speakers or who have taken one or more semesters of foreign language in high school are encouraged to take a foreign language placement test. The test is available for current PCC students as well as prospective students who have not taken a college level foreign language course.

The placement test places students into the appropriate course associated with their skill level. Students do not earn academic credit for courses out of which they placed. However, the student can complete a credit by exam for each of the prerequisite courses. Students are required to pay tuition for those courses. (See “Credit by Examination,”). 

College Level Exam Program (CLEP) Testing

The Placement Testing Office also offers CLEP exams. CLEP exams allow individuals who have acquired comprehensive subject knowledge through independent or prior study, on-the-job training, or cultural pursuits to show that they have mastered college-level material. Individuals must schedule an appointment to take the CLEP test. There is a fee to take the CLEP test. Please call Placement Testing for the most current fee information.

Each institution sets their CLEP policy. PCC’s CLEP policy is as follows:

  1. Only credits from courses approved by PCC will be granted.
  2. Official CLEP score reports should be sent to Pitt Community College as part of the admissions application process.”Official” score reports (sent directly from The College Board to PCC) can be requested by visiting The College Board website at https://www.collegeboard.org/ and should be sent to the PCC Registrar’s Office.
  3. CLEP Credit may not be counted as part of the class load for financial aid purposes, athletic or extracurricular eligibility.
  4. While there is no limit to the number of credits that may be earned by passing CLEP exams, students must successfully complete a minimum of 25% of the credit hours required for the degree, diploma, or certificate through PCC (see graduation requirements for more information).
  5. Credits for CLEP exams are posted as transfer credits and will be treated as transfer credit in respect to eligibility to be awarded as credit.
  6. PCC has a list of CLEP exams that it accepts for credit and the score requirement for each exam. It is the student’s responsibility to verify that the exam they take will apply to their program.
  7. Students are encouraged to talk with their advisor before attempting a CLEP test.
  8. Students who are transferring to another institution should be familiar with that institution’s CLEP policy. Please note that each institution establishes its own requirements, minimum scores, and credit awarded.
  9. Credits initially earned by passing a CLEP exam will be deducted from cumulative credit earned if a student subsequently enrolls in and completes a college-level course that is similar in content to the subject matter covered by the CLEP exam.
  10. PCC officials reserve to right to revise this policy without notice. Credits awarded for CLEP exams are done so according to the policy in effect at the time of the CLEP transcript evaluation.
  11. CLEP exams may be repeated no sooner than three months after the date of the last test.
  12. CLEP tests are administered on campus by appointment only. All appointments and other questions should be directed to Placement Testing (252) 493-7561.

Financial aid does not pay for CLEP coursework. Visit the PCC website for CLEP fee information.

For a full list of CLEP credits accepted by PCC, please see your advisor on the Placement Testing website.

Acceptance of Certification

PCC awards course credit for students who hold certain current Information Technology certifications. The certifications listed below earned or renewed within the last three years are eligible. To receive course credit, submit an original copy of the certification to the Registrar’s Office.

Course(s) Certification
Found in: Information Technology Programs (A25590)
CTS 120 - Hardware/Software Support 
CTS 220 - Adv Hard/Software Support  
CompTIA A+
NET 125 - Introduction to Networks 
NET 126 - Routing Basics  
Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)
NOS 120 - Linux/UNIX Single User   CompTIA Linux+
SEC 110 - Security Concepts   CompTIA Security+


PCC also awards credit for the following credentials. To receive course credit, submit an original copy of the credential to the Registrar’s Office.

Course(s) Credential
Found in: Criminal Justice Technology Programs (A55180)
CJC 141 - Corrections 
CJC 225 - Crisis Intervention 
CJC 223 - Organized Crime  
CJC 120 - Interviews/Interrogations 
CJC 131 - Criminal Law 
CJC 132 - Court Procedure & Evidence 
CJC 221 - Investigative Principles 
CJC 231 - Constitutional Law  
Found in: Health Information Technology Program (A45360)
HIT 211 - Diagnosis Coding & Reporting 
HIT 213 - Inpt Proc Coding & Reporting  
HIT 214 - OP Procedure Coding/Reporting  
Certified Coding Specialist (CCS), AHIMA
HIT 211 - Diagnosis Coding & Reporting 
HIT 214 - OP Procedure Coding/Reporting   
Certified Coding Specialist-Physician Based (CCS-P), AHIMA
HIT 211 - Diagnosis Coding & Reporting 
HIT 214 - OP Procedure Coding/Reporting   
Certified Professional Coder (CPC), AAPC
Found in: Human Services Technology Programs (A45830, A4538B, and A4538E - 2018 catalog and prior)
HSE 215 Health Care CNA

* Source: Numbered Memo CC17-055 dated 11/20/2017

Health Sciences Admissions

Health sciences programs have special admissions requirements. This is necessary because these programs are limited in the number of students admitted each year. Guidelines and requirements for admission into the health sciences programs are available from the health sciences admissions specialists. All applicants to these programs receive placement in the Associate in General Education (AGE) major (A10300) pending acceptance into a health sciences program. Health sciences admissions specialists are located in the Fulford Building.

Telephone: (252) 493-7473. E-mail: hltscadm@email.pittcc.edu.

The Pitt Community College health sciences programs are as follows:

Advanced Medical Coding

Associate Degree Nursing

Breast Sonography

Cardiovascular Sonography/ Echocardiograph

Computed Tomography and Magnetic Resonance Imaging Technology

Dental Assisting

Emergency Medical Science

Health Information Technology


Medical Assisting

Medical Dosimetry

Medical Sonography

Nuclear Medicine Technology

Occupational Therapy Assistant


Positron Emission Tomography

Radiation Therapy Technology


Respiratory Therapy

Transfer Admissions

Pitt Community College will accept students from other postsecondary institutions. Applicants should complete the following steps:

  1. Submit a formal application.
  2. Have official high school transcripts mailed to the Admissions and Records Office. High school transcripts are required for admission to most programs of study at the College. They are also required in order to complete the financial aid process. Students with an associate or baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university are exempt from submitting high school transcripts, except in some instances when they may be required for processing of veterans’ benefits and/or financial aid.
  3. Have official transcripts from each post-secondary institution mailed to the Admissions and Records Office. Transcripts are necessary if transfer credit is to be awarded and/or for students to meet necessary course prerequisites. Transcripts are required from all students applying for veterans’ benefits.

The Vice President of Student Support may refuse admission to transfer students not in good standing at previously attended post-secondary institutions.

All official documents, such as transcripts from other colleges, become the property of Pitt Community College and cannot be returned or reissued.

Readmission of Curricular Students

Students who have not enrolled for 3 consecutive semesters, including the summer semester, must reapply by completing an Application for Admission. Official transcripts, placement testing, and additional admission requirements may be requested if not required during period of initial enrollment. Applicants for admission or readmission to health sciences programs must follow the Health Sciences Admissions Procedures for those programs.

Applicants with an expired Residency Certification Number (RCN) must reapply for residency at www.ncresidency.org before being readmitted.

Students out of school as a result of disciplinary action must appear before the Vice President of Academic Affairs and Student Development Services and petition for readmission to the College.

Students called to active duty military service will be re-admitted with the same academic status that he or she had when last attended.

Special Credit Students

Special Credit Students are defined as the following:

  1. Students visiting Pitt Community College only planning to take a few courses (students intending to transfer to a fouryear institution are not special credit).
  2. Students who have already completed a degree and are seeking only a few courses (students seeking a second degree are not special credit).
  3. Students taking courses for personal enrichment purposes only and are not seeking a certificate, diploma, or degree.
  4. Students who cannot decide which certificate, diploma, or degree to pursue at Pitt Community College and need further career counseling before making a decision.

*NOTE: Financial Aid students cannot be declared Special Credit; in order to receive aid, students must enroll in a program.

Non-Degree Curriculum Credit

Students may enroll in available courses from different curricula for possible transfer or self-improvement. The classification of these students is as Special Credit students (T90990).

Provisional Admissions

A student applying too late to complete pre-entrance requirements may receive admission as a provisional student. In such cases, all requirements must be complete within the first semester of attendance, including mailing of official transcripts (high school and post-secondary) directly to the Admissions and Records Office.

High School Admissions (Career and College Promise)

Pitt Community College allows high school students to enroll in community college courses tuition free, based on the Career and College Promise program. This program provides seamless dual enrollment educational opportunities for eligible North Carolina high school students in order to accelerate completion of college certificates, diplomas, and associate degrees that lead to college transfer or provide entry-level job skills. PCC offers the following Career and College Promise pathways aligned with the K-12 curriculum and career and college ready standards adopted by the State Board of Education:

  1. College Transfer Pathways leading to the Associate in Arts and the Associate in Science transfer degrees.
  2. Career and Technical Education Pathways leading to certificates, diplomas, or degrees.

Eligibility for these two pathways considers on the following:

  1. College Transfer Pathways
    • Be a high school junior or senior.
    • Have an unweighted GPA of 2.8 on high school courses or demonstrate college readiness on an assessment or placement test. If using test scores, a student must demonstrate college readiness in English, Reading, and Mathematics to be eligible for enrollment in a College Transfer pathway.
  2. Career and Technical Education Pathway
    • Be a high school junior or senior.
    • Have an unweighted GPA of 2.8 on high school courses, demonstrate college readiness on an assessment or have the recommendation of the high school principal.
  3. To maintain eligibility for continued enrollment, students must:
    • Continue to make progress toward high school graduation.
    • Maintain a 2.0 in college coursework after completing two courses.

Once a student has graduated from high school, he or she must complete an admissions application and be accepted into a curriculum program to continue taking classes at PCC. Availability of these programs is based on the annual approval of the North Carolina General Assembly.

For further information about Career and College Promise, call (252) 493-7408, (252) 493-7663 or (252) 493-7745 or visit Trailer 23. You may also visit the PCC Career and College Promise web site: https://pittcc.edu/academics/high-school-programs/ for more details.

International Student Admissions

Pitt Community College issue I-20 forms for curriculum programs of study. An international student present in the United States on a student visa (‘F-1’) is considered a non-resident for the purpose of tuition payments. Length of stay, payment of taxes, or ownership of property, in themselves, do not qualify an international student for the status of legal resident or domicile. Neither federal nor state student financial aid applies to an international student; therefore, they are required to submit an official bank statement (in dollars) from a bank or appropriate official certifying that the international student has sufficient funds to cover each year of expenses.

In addition to the normal admissions requirements, an international student must meet the additional criteria:

  1. Graduation from a high school or equivalent as evidenced by an official copy of the secondary school transcript. All official transcripts also have attached (1) a certified English translation and (2) course descriptions if requesting transfer credit.
  2. To demonstrate proficiency in the English language, the applicant must take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and score at least 76 on the Internet Based Test (IBT), 173 on the computer-based test or 500 on the paper-based test. Exception: An international student whose country has English as the only official language is not required to demonstrate proficiency in the English language.
  3. All students are required to make their own housing arrangements.

For further information concerning international students’ admissions, contact Counseling Services at (252) 493-7480.

Policy Statement of International Students in Distance Education

Effective fall semester of 2000, Pitt Community College will permit foreign students (non-US citizens) residing outside of the physical boundaries of the United States to enroll in distance education courses through the standard admission process. Since these students will remain in their home countries, Bureau of Citizenship, and Immigration Services (BCIS) regulations will not apply; I-20 forms will not be issued, and VISA documentation will not be required for admission. Admission to the College for distance education courses in no way grants immigration or residency status. Distance education foreign students will be charged tuition at the out-of-state rates designated by the North Carolina General Assembly, payable in American currency only.

Admission of Undocumented Immigrants

Effective July 10, 2010, the State Board of Community Colleges has completed the amendment process for 23 N.C.A.C. 02C .0301 entitled “Admission to Colleges” regarding undocumented immigrants. Under this rule, Pitt Community College will adhere to the following policy regarding the admission of undocumented immigrants.

  1. Any undocumented student registered into a class is required to pay the out-of-state tuition rate, which is set at $264.00 per credit hour for the 2020-2021 academic year.
  2. In implementing the priority provision in 23 N.C.A.C. 02C .0301 (b)(6), community colleges are responsible for ensuring that a student who is lawfully present in the United States will always have priority for a space in a class or program of study over a student who is not lawfully present in the United States, if there are space limitations. Therefore, PCC shall neither enroll undocumented students into a class or program of study for which there are waiting lists, nor will we register undocumented students for classes until the conclusion of the last published (i.e. late) registration period.
  3. For the purposes of 23 N.C.A.C. 02C .0301 (b)(6), undocumented immigrants with a General Educational Development (high school equivalency) diploma are not considered to have “graduated from a United States public high school, private high school, or home-school” and therefore are not eligible to be admitted to a community college.
  4. An undocumented immigrant with a diploma from an Adult High School that is located in the United States and operates or operated in compliance with state or local law is eligible to be admitted to a community college.

Source: Numbered Memo CC 10-0026 dated 07/12/2010

Academic Regulations

Class Schedule

Pitt Community College offers curriculum classes between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. Monday - Friday. Weekend classes are also available on Saturday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.

Non-credit courses for personal, occupational, and community improvement are offered during day, evening, and weekend hours.

With careful planning, a person can complete most of the work required for a degree or diploma in certain programs by attending evening and/or weekend classes.

Evening and Weekend College

The intent of Evening and Weekend College is to offer an array of courses that provide an alternative for people who work or have other commitments during the week. This includes working adults, traditional college students or anyone who may have other obligations during traditional class times.

Evening and Weekend College provides flexibility and convenience by offering a variety of courses and teaching methods so that students can work toward associate degrees, obtain certificates, update or gain new skills, prepare to transfer to a four-year school or just pursue personal interests. Classes are offered in multiple formats including traditional sixteen-week semesters, as well as shorter terms, allowing more classes to be taken during the semester.

Evening and Weekend College is just one way that Pitt Community College provides individuals with additional learning opportunities to help meet the needs of the growing student population. For more information, please contact Evening and Weekend coordinator at (252) 493-7830.

Off-Campus Programs

Pitt Community College offers classes not only on the main PCC campus, but at other off-campus sites as well. The mission of the Office of Off-Campus Programs is to extend the educational programming and services of Pitt Community College to all areas of Pitt County.

These classes are for degree seeking students, those who just want to earn college credit, individuals wanting to improve their job prospects or students wanting to learn something new and fun. A variety of continuing education programming is offered to enhance career related skills, promote personal enrichment, assist business owners, and improve employment prospects. For individuals in transition, classes are available to prepare students to successfully complete their High School Equivalency (HSE) degree as well as English Language Acquisition (ELA). For inquiries regarding HSE and ELA, please contact the Transitional Studies Instructional Coordinator for Off-Campus classes at (252) 493-7377. These services are currently offered at the Bernstein Center (located in northern Pitt County) and the Farmville Center (located in the town of Farmville) as well as other community locations. We are continuously identifying and assessing needs of other communities in Pitt County and work with various PCC departments and divisions to offer instruction, services, and resources as needed.

For additional information, please contact

Cynthia Green, Administrative Assistant
Farmville Center

Cheryl Williams, Administrative Assistant
Main Campus

Reginald Baker, Coordinator
Off-Campus Programs

Dr. Kristin Braswell, Assistant Vice President
Initiatives and Community Development


Prior to Class Registration

Before registering for classes, review the general catalog online as well as the class schedule posted on the website at pittcc.edu.

After you have reviewed the degree requirements and suggested course sequence for your program, you should meet with your Academic Advisor to develop a Student Educational Plan (SEP). If you have attended another college, be sure that you have requested an official transcript be sent to the Registrar’s Office at PCC so that you may receive credit for coursework already completed. The name of your advisor was mailed to you. Your advisor’s information is also listed in your myPittCC account, in the “PCC Services” area. Once you have met with your advisor to discuss your course schedule, you are ready to register.

How to Register

There are two ways to register at PCC. Whichever method you choose, you should always print out a copy of your schedule after registering by logging into myPittCC and going to the PCC Services area.

  1. Web Registration (recommended method):
    • Log in to your myPittCC account.
    • Click on the WebAdvisor for Students under PCC Services link.
    • Choose “Academic Planning”, then “Student Planning”, and then click “Plan your Degree & Register for Classes.”
  2. Walk-In Registration
    • Meet with your advisor and prepare your class schedule.
    • Your advisor will enter your schedule at their computer terminal.

When to Register

Registration start dates are posted on our website on theAcademic Calendar and on the Registration Information page. These pages may be accessed by going to www.pittcc.edu and clinking on the Get Started link at the top of the page.

It is to your advantage to register for classes as soon as registration opens for a term. During the first 5 days of each registration period currently enrolled students may register for classes with an approved SEP. Creating your schedule early means a greater likelihood that you will be able to register for your first-choice classes. It also means avoiding the potentially long lines that can appear later on in the registration cycle.

Take careful note of the payment deadline that are posted on our website. Students who do not pay tuition and fees by the posted deadlines run the risk of having their schedule deleted from our system.

Waitlist Courses

Waitlisting allows students’ placement on a waitlist for classes closed because all seats are full. When and if a seat opens up, the next student on thewaiting list will receive a waitlist offer through their myPittCC email account.

Here are some important things to know about Waitlisting:

  • Not all classes have a waitlist option. A link for a list of waitlisted classes is located on the Registration Information Page.
  • Students may only waitlist only one section of the same class.
  • The waitlist is on a first come, first serve basis unless otherwise specified by the department chair.
  • Students can waitlist eligible classes during Priority Registration only if the class(es) have reached capacity.
  • Offers to register for waitlisted classes with begin to students on the date ALL students can register during Priority Registration. Offers will end one day prior to the last day of Priority Registration.
  • Once the offer is made to the student, the student will have 24 hours to register for the waitlisted class through Student Planning or with an Academic Advisor. The offer will expire after 24 hours and the offer moves to the next student on the waitlist.
  • Students can see their waitlisted class in Student Planning under their Class Schedule but cannot see the waitlisted classes on their printed Registration Statements.

Schedule Purges

Students must pay for all classes by the designated payment date to avoid having their schedule purged (deleted) from the system. Please check our website at www.pittcc.edu for the Priority and Walk-In Registration payment dates.

Auditing Courses

Students may audit a course on a space available basis. Audit students do not receive a letter grade, academic credit, continuing education unit, or certificate of completion. Participation in class discussion and examinations is at the option of the student, but audit students are expected to adhere to the same attendance policy as regular students. Audited courses are included on the student transcript.

Students who wish to audit courses must complete a Declaration of Audit Status form and submit the form to the Admissions and Records Office before the end of the drop/add period. An audit cannot be changed to credit, nor credit to audit, after the deadline for adding courses. Audited courses are not included for financial aid or veteran’s benefits. Some courses cannot be audited, and some may have special requirements. Contact the appropriate academic department chair or dean for more information. Fees for audited courses are the same as for regular students.


Special Provision for Senior Citizens Auditing Courses

Individuals who are at least 65 years of age as of the start date of the audited course are waived from paying tuition/fees for an audited course. These individuals are required to pay the all other local fees associated with the course and must provide proof of age through a driver’s license, State identification card, or other government-issued document. All other provisions for auditing courses also apply to senior citizen audits (see above).

Registration for English and Math Transition Courses

If students, as a result of admissions placement, are found to be deficient in Math or English they will be required to take the appropriate Math or English transitions course. Student who have a high school GPA below 1.5 are required to take the English and Math transition course through our Career College Readiness program. Students requiring the transition course must also take ACA 090 - Student Success Strategies .

Transition courses do not meet elective or graduation requirements.

English and Math Transitions Course Procedure

DMA 010, DMA 020, DMA 030, DMA 040, DMA 050, DMA 060, DMA 070 and DMA 080 have been replaced by MAT 003 - Transition Math  or BSP 4003 - Transition Math  . DRE 096, DRE 097, and DRE 098 have been replaced by ENG 002 - Transition English  or BSP 4002 - Transition English  . Based on High School GPA, high school equivalency scores, SAT/ACT, or the RISE assessment test students will place into the transition courses required by the curriculum math course in their program of study and by ENG 111 . Students who exceed the allowed number of absences will receive an “R” (re-enroll) grade for the course.

Students must achieve an 80% mastery of competencies for each tier for the Math and English transition courses in order to progress in the course. Students who successfully achieve this mastery in ENG 002  or BSP 4002  Tier 1 will receive a “P1” (pass) grade, in ENG 002  or BSP 4002  Tier 2 will receive a “P2” (pass) grade. Students who successfully achieve this mastery in MAT 003  or BSP 4003  Tier 1 will receive a “P1” (pass) grade, in MAT 003  or BSP 4003  Tier 2 will receive a “P2” (pass) grade, and in MAT 003  or BSP 4003  Tier 3 will receive a “P3” (pass) grade. Students who do not achieve this mastery will receive an “R” (re-enroll) grade. “R” grades do not affect the cumulative GPA.

Students must repeat any tiers they do not pass before they can go on to the next course in the sequence.

College Student Success Course Requirement (ACA 111 or ACA 122)

All new full-time students must enroll in either ACA 111  (College Student Success) or ACA 122  (College Transfer Success) within their first twelve credit hours. All full-time students must enroll in and successfully complete ACA 111  or ACA 122 .

NOTE: ACA 122  is specifically designed for students who plan to transfer to a four-year institution. Students pursuing an Associate in Arts, Associate in Engineering, Associate in Fine Arts, or Associate in Science Degree must take ACA 122 , not ACA 111 . ACA 122  is a nonwaivable course, except after review under extraordinary circumstances by the Chief Academic Officer.

Schedule Changes (Drop/Add Period)

In some instances, it is necessary for students to make adjustments in their schedules. Students may make schedule changes via the web up until the first day of classes. Students may also make schedule changes during Late Registration. During Late Registration, students should see their advisors to add or drop classes. Schedule changes during the drop/add period must be processed through the Admissions and Records Office.

Course Load

In order to be considered full-time, curricular students must take a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester.  Students wanting to register for more than 21 credit hours per semester must have permission of the Department Chair/Program Director and Dean of the division of their major.  Special Credit (visiting) students wanting to register for more than 21 credit hours per semester must have permission from the Assistant Vice-President, Enrollment Services. Students shall not register for more than 28 credit hours per semester.

Students enrolled in the English and math transition courses through Pitt Community College’s Career College Readiness (CCR) program in the same semester can enroll in up to 6 credit hours of curriculum courses.  Students can enroll in up to 9 credit hours of curriculum courses if only enrolled in one transition course per semester (either only English or only math) through the CCR program.

5-Week Express Courses

All students wanting to take any 5-week express course, not to exceed more than 7 credit hours, must get approval from the appropriate administrator.

Additionally, students must meet at least one of the following requirements:

  • Current GPA of at least 2.8.
  • Previous successful completion of an online (IN, SY), blended (BL, SB) or hybrid (HY, SH) course with a grade of C or better.

Course Substitution

Approval to substitute an appropriate course for a course listed on the plan of study may be given, however, the substituted course must academically parallel or enhance the program objectives and students must still obtain the skills and knowledge they need for employment or transfer.

  • Advisors should complete the Course Substitution Form, which will route to appropriate department chair/director and dean for approval.
  • Total credit hours in each category on the plan of study must be satisfied.
  • Per North Carolina Community College System policy, classes listed as major hours on the program of study may not be substituted unless the substituted class is listed as part of a core class picklist on the state approved curriculum standard.
  • Substitutions are not allowed for classes that are state mandated prerequisites.
  • ACA 122  cannot be waived or substituted without the permission of the Chief Academic Officer.
  • Student must have earned a grade of “C” or better in substituted course.

Late Entry

The late entry date is the census date, usually the 10th day of the 16-Week term. Students who have registered and paid may enter a class for the first time up to the late entry date. After the late entry date, students cannot enter without permission of the dean and will be dropped from the class by the instructor. Students who fail to enter and are dropped by the instructor will receive a refund for that class. The Dean’s criteria shall be whether the missed classes can be reasonably made up without loss of instructional quality.

Individual departments may develop a stricter policy if dictated by the nature of the course (example: clinical experiences). For classes beginning at times other than the first week (seven calendar days) of the semester, the late entry date shall be the census date of the class.


Regular and punctual class attendance is expected of all students. Instructors will/may drop students after the third week of class for the following reasons:

  1. Any student absent five consecutive class hours may be withdrawn. This will result in the student’s name being removed from the class roster (see 4 below). A grade of “OW” (official withdrawal) will appear on the official transcript if the withdrawal occurs prior up until the 60% point of the course. A grade of “F” will appear on the official transcript if the withdrawal occurs after the 60% point of the course.
  2. A student may be reinstated into the class after being unofficially withdrawn if deemed appropriate by the class instructor. The instructor must notify the Admissions and Records Office in writing that the student has been reinstated.
  3. Students may be withdrawn when their absences from class begin to affect the quality of their work or their grades as determined by the class instructor.
  4. An instructor may choose not to withdraw a student if the student maintains regular, constructive communication with the instructor during an extended series of absences.
  5. Distance Education students must adhere to the attendance/contact policy stated in course syllabi.

Students who choose to participate in school-related activities such as SGA and sports must adhere to the attendance policy. The student is responsible for work missed due to school-related activities. In such cases, instructors will wherever possible, work with the students involved to allow them to participate in the prearranged school activities, provided the student is in good academic standing for the course being missed (i.e., minimum “C” average).

When defining individual course attendance policies, instructors must take into consideration granted accommodations regarding class attendance and class transition for students registered with the Office of Accessibility Services.

This policy represents the minimum requirements for attendance. The instructor, subject to approval by the appropriate curriculum dean, may add the other guidelines/policies based on the nature of the course.

Religious Observances Policy for Students

The Pitt Community College Board of Trustees directs that each student may have an excused absence for one day during each academic term (Fall, Spring, and Summer) during an academic year for religious observances required by the faith of that student. A day is defined as one calendar day and would cover all classes held on the date specified. A student wishing to have such excused absences must submit a written request to each faculty member affected. The request need only state the date the student intends to be absent and that it is a request for a religious observance. Such requests must be submitted to faculty during the first week of class for regularly scheduled classes. Students in Clinical or Work Based Learning or Internship Assignments must submit such a request prior to the start of the assignment. The faculty will sign the requests, note the date on the attendance roster for those students, and forward signed requests to the appropriate dean. Deans will keep the requests on file per state rules for retention of records. Students will be allowed to make up work missed during an absence for religious observance if the request was submitted per this policy.

Withdrawal from Classes

Withdrawal Deadline

Students may officially withdraw from a course on or before the 60% point of the term or class. Once processed, a student-initiated official withdrawal may not be reversed.

Instructors may also officially withdraw students from a class on or before the 60% point of the term (or class) if they do not adhere to the attendance/contact policy as stated in the syllabus. Instructors may choose not to officially withdraw a student if the student maintains regular, constructive communication with the instructor during an extended series of absences. A student may be reinstated after being officially withdrawn by the instructor if the reinstatement is deemed appropriate by the class instructor. The instructor must notify the Admissions and Records Office in writing that the student has been reinstated.

After the 60% point of the term (or class), students who do not adhere to the attendance/contact policy as stated in the syllabus may be removed from the class and issued a grade of F at the instructor’s discretion.

Exceptions for Withdrawal

Students wishing to officially withdraw after the 60% point of the term (or class) must file an appeal. Exceptions will be granted, with appropriate documentation, for the following reasons:

  1. Medical/Psychological
  2. Legal
  3. Safety Concerns
  4. Military Obligations (See section regarding “Criteria for Appeals”)

Appeals for Official Withdrawals

If a student believes they have extenuating circumstances, which justify an exception to the standard withdrawal policy, he or she may appeal to the Withdrawal Appeal Committee.

  • All request must be received in writing and must include supporting documentation (i.e., drop/add forms, medical verification, military orders, etc…). Appeals received without the required form and proper documentation will not be considered.
  • Appeals may be submitted at any point during the term up to the 12th week of the following term, as listed in the academic calendar. Appeals beyond this limit will not be reviewed. Students will receive a response to their appeal within 30 days of the submission date.
  • Withdrawal procedures and add/drop deadline dates are widely publicized. Therefore, appeals based on a student’s lack of awareness will not be reviewed.
  • Appeals will be limited to a total of three (3) per student during his or her tenure at PCC.
  • Approval of Appealed OW’s will not count toward the limit of eight (8) withdrawals per student.
  • All Appeals Committee decisions are final.

The Withdrawal Appeals Committee does NOT, under any circumstances, take phone calls or schedule appointments.

Criteria for Appeals

  • Death in the student’s immediate family (parent, sibling, offspring, spouse).
  • Unforeseen medical incapacitation of students or immediate family member.
  • Illness or injury of the student of such severity of duration that competent medical authority certified that completion of the course is/was precluded.
  • Family circumstance of such severity that the student’s presence is/was required away from school and precluded completion of the course.
  • Involuntary call to Military Duty - orders must accompany appeal.
  • Legal obligations and/or circumstances that prohibit student from completion of the course.

Limit on Number of Withdrawals

All Pitt Community College students will be limited to eight (8) withdrawals while at PCC. Students who wish to withdraw from a course after reaching this limit will need to file an appeal. (See section regarding “Exceeding OW Limits and Effects on Academic Standing”)

Exceeding Official Withdrawal Limits and Effects on Academic Standing

Once a student has accumulated eight (8) official withdrawals, the student will be classified as Ineligible for Official Withdrawal, where they will be ineligible for further official withdrawals. Any instructor-initiated withdrawal will be equated to an F in the course. Students who wish to be reclassified as Eligible for Official Withdrawal must do one of the following:

  1. Repeat and successfully complete a course with a C or better final grade for with the student previously received an official withdrawal. Students will be eligible for one additional official withdrawal for each OW course they repeat and pass with a grade of C or better
  2. Complete 3 consecutive semesters of six (6) credit hours or more with a 100% pass rate
  3. Not enrolled at PCC for six (6) consecutive semesters (two (2) years). Students in this category must reapply for admission and upon readmission; they will revert to Eligible for Official Withdrawal Status and may now accumulate up to an additional eight (8) official withdrawals.

If an additional official withdrawal is obtained for a student who has regained eligibility to withdraw, the student will again revert to Ineligible Official Withdrawal Status, and once again have to complete one of the previous stipulations to regain Eligible for Official Withdrawal Status.

IMPORTANT: Official Withdrawal Policy is effective as of Fall 2016. Withdrawals processed prior to this date will not be included in this policy. This policy may affect other PCC policies, such as Academic Standing and Satisfactory Academic Progress for financial aid students. Please refer these policies for further information.

Veterans Note:

Any course for an “I” (Incomplete) is received may not be retaken for pay purposes under the Title 38, U.S. Code as amended by Public Law 93-508.

Alternative Credit

Credit by Examination

A student who evidences prior proficiency for a course due to previous work or educational experience may apply for credit by examination.

Students must apply for approval to take the examination from the department chair for that course, using the Permit for Credit by Examination form. If approved, the department chair will arrange for the student to take an appropriate test.

Scheduling for these examinations is at the discretion of the department chair. No student may take an examination for credit without presenting the properly executed Permit for Credit by Examination.



Students applying for credit by examination must use the following procedure:

  1. Contact the department chair for approval of the course. If approved, the department chair will issue the Permit for Credit by Examination form.
  2. Contact and have a representative from the Registrar’s Office sign the permit.
  3. Pay additional nonrefundable tuition, if applicable.
  4. Present completed permit to the department chair who will arrange for the administration of the exam.

The department chair reports the results of the examination to the Registrar’s Office within two weeks of the date of approval of the permit by that office. Credit hours will count toward graduation; these will be computed in grade point average as grades and quality points will be recorded.

Transfer Credit

Curricular students are responsible for requesting official transcripts from all previously attended institutions (secondary and post-secondary).

Transcripts for all students enrolled in a curricular program will have automatic evaluation. Transcripts of course work completed at a college or university located outside of the United States must include (1) a certified English translation and (2) course descriptions for transfer credit (if needed).

Legal specialty courses taken at colleges outside of North Carolina must meet the quality standards set forth by the American Bar Association to be eligible for transfer. Courses taken at a regionally accredited institution in which the student earned a minimum grade of “C” was earned and a comparable course is offered at Pitt Community College may be accepted in transfer if appropriate to the student’s program of study. Science and Information Technology course credit may expire after a certain amount of time due to rapid changes in those fields.

All transfer students must complete at least 25% of the credit hours required for a degree, diploma, or certificate at Pitt Community College. Within the 25%, at least twelve (12) semester hours must be major course work (departmental prefix designation) for a degree or diploma. Credit by examination cannot be included in the 25% residency requirements.

Students may only receive transfer credit for work experience is through the organized and supervised work-based learning program. Previous work experience outside of the supervision of the college is ineligible for academic; however, a student may challenge relevant courses by examination. (See Credit by Examination)

COVID-19 Impact

Due the impact of COVID-19, many colleges and universities adopted alternative grading policies including Pass/Fail (P/F) or Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) grading options. In order to ensure equitable standards while maintaining compliance with traditional standards of academic integrity, Pitt Community College (PCC) will accept P and S grades as transfer credit (TE) for comparable courses offered at PCC, inclusive only for dates/months impacted by COVID-19. This transfer credit only applies to PCC courses, and PCC cannot guarantee that other colleges and universities will accept P and/or S grades as transfer credit.

Student Appeals Process for Coursework Done at Unaccredited Institutions

Coursework done at institutions that are not regionally accredited does not receive automatic transcript evaluation. The student may appeal directly to the Chairperson of the department under which the transfer coursework falls to ask for an evaluation. If the Chairperson decides to award credit, he or she must notify the Registrar’s Office in writing, who will then post the appropriate credit to the student’s record. It is the student’s responsibility to contact the department directly and to provide all the documentation necessary to complete the evaluation. Any final decision regarding the acceptance of credits from unaccredited institutions in subject to approval by the Vice President of Academic Affairs and Student Development Services.

Credit for Non-Traditional Learning

Pitt Community College will evaluate non-traditional educational records for possible transfer credit. An evaluation cannot be made until full documentation is provided.

All students receiving transfer credit for traditional and/or nontraditional learning must complete at least 25% of the credit hours required for a degree, diploma, or certificate at Pitt Community College. Within the 25%, at least twelve (12) semester hours must be major course work (departmental prefix designation) for a degree or diploma. Credit by examination cannot be included in the 25% residency requirements.

Advanced Placement Examinations/CLEP

Students of the College may request transfer credit for subjects tested under advanced placement examinations. PCC evaluates CLEP and DANTES General Exams and Subject Area Exams are evaluated for transfer credit. Test scores must meet ACE (American Council on Education) recommendations. Credit must be applicable to the student’s current degree or diploma requirements. Advanced credit documentation in the form of official test score reports required for transfer credit. Only hours earned are awarded.

Educational Experiences in the Armed Services

Students may submit educational experiences in the armed services may be submitted for transfer credit evaluations. To request an evaluation of military service schools, the student must complete the following:

Joint Services Military Transcripts or AARTS (Army/ACE Registry Transcript System) transcripts

Evaluation of military educational experiences uses the ACE (American Council on Education) Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services. Credit must be applicable to the student’s current degree or diploma requirements. Only hours earned are awarded. No credit awarded for non-accredited coursework not evaluated by ACE.

Articulated Credit for High School Students

Pitt Community College and Pitt County Schools have entered into an articulation agreement to provide college credit for selected high school courses. High school students who successfully complete one or more of the selected courses and present evidence of the required level of mastery of skills (VoCATS score and B or better) in the course(s) will be granted credit at Pitt Community College for the comparable course in a degree or diploma program.

Credit hours will count toward graduation; however, the grade does not compute into the grade point average and receives no quality points.

Work-Based Learning (Previously Co-Op)/Internship

The Work-Based Learning/Internship Program gives students the opportunity to integrate their classroom study with practical experience in their major fields by working and attending school. For more information, students should contact their Faculty Advisor.


Students who have completed at least two (2) semesters in a program that offers work-based learning/internship are eligible to participate if they meet the following requirements:

  1. Students must be enrolled in a degree-granting program of study with Work-Based Learning/Internship as a requirement for graduation.
  2. Students must have a 2.0 GPA in their program of study.
  3. Students must complete 9 semester hours in their program with 3 semester hours in the core.
  4. Students must plan to graduate from Pitt Community College.

Eligibility requirements do not apply to certificate/diploma programs.

Enrollment Procedure

Students interested in the Work-Based Learning/Internship Program should follow the procedure outlined below:

  1. Students should make an appointment with their advisor prior to registration to discuss job placement.
  2. Students should register for the appropriate Work-Based Learning/Internship course and section number.
  3. Students should complete a Work-Based Learning/Internship Report Book.

Academic Credit

  1. Students can receive one (1) semester hour credit for 160 hours of work experience or two (2) semester hour credits for 320 hours of work experience. Grades given by the Faculty Advisor reflect reports and evaluations submitted by the student and the employer.
  2. A student may receive a maximum of two credit hours during any one semester. Each curriculum program specifies the maximum number of credit hours allowed toward degree or diploma requirements.
  3. Credits earned with the approval of the appropriate dean substitute for required or elective courses within the curriculum guidelines.

Students interested in the Work-Based Learning/Internship Program should contact their Faculty Advisors.

Distance Learning

The College offers distance learning via two different modes of delivery: Online (through the Internet) or Hybrid (using a combination of online and in the classroom instruction). PCC offers over 200 different courses taught via the Internet. Internet courses offer students convenience and flexibility by allowing them to complete classwork around their individual schedules; however, online courses require a higher level of self-discipline on the part of the student. All online and hybrid classes maintain the same course goals and objectives required for traditional, face-to-face classes. Contact the academic curriculum coordinator or department chair for specific requirements and questions.

*Some components of these programs require face-to-face learning:

Online Degrees:

  • Accounting and Finance: Accounting
  • Accounting and Finance: Financial Services
  • Business Administration: General BA
  • BA: Human Resources Management
  • BA: Marketing
  • Criminal Justice Technology
  • Early Childhood Education (Birth-Kindergarten) *
  • Early Childhood Education (Career Track) *
  • Early Childhood Education (Non-Teaching) *
  • Emergency Medical Science - Bridge*
  • Health Information Technology*
  • Healthcare Management Technology (HMT): General
  • HMT: Healthcare Entrepreneurship
  • HMT: Long-Term Care
  • Industrial Management Technology (IMT)
  • Information Technology (IT): Computer Programming and Development
  • IT: Web Administration and Design
  • Medical Office Administration (MOA): General
  • MOA: Medical Auditor
  • MOA: Medical Billing and Coding
  • MOA: Patient Services Representative
  • Nuclear Medicine Technology*
  • Office Administration (OA): General
  • OA: Legal Office
  • OA: Office Finance
  • Polysomnography Bridge

Online Diplomas:

  • Advanced Medical Coding*
  • Computed Tomography / Magnetic Resonance Imaging Technology (CT/MRI) *
  • Early Childhood Education (ECE)
  • Medical Dosimetry
  • MOA: Medical Auditor
  • MOA: Medical Billing and Coding
  • MOA: Patient Services Representative
  • Nuclear Medicine Technology*
  • Positron Emission Tomography*

Online Certificates:

  • Accounting: Basic Accounting
  • Accounting and Finance: Basic Financial Services
  • Accounting and Finance: Managerial/Small Bus. Acct
  • Advertising and Graphic Design: Graphic Design
  • Breast Sonography*
  • BA: Business Supervisor
  • BA: Human Resources Management
  • BA: Management Applications and Principles
  • BA: Marketing
  • BA: Payroll & Benefit Specialist
  • Computed Tomography (CT)*
  • Early Childhood Education (ECE)
  • ECE: Administration
  • ECE: Infant and Toddler
  • ECE: School Age
  • ECE: Special Education
  • Healthcare Management Technology (HMT)
  • HMT: Long-Term Care
  • Human Services Technology: Aging Studies
  • IMT: Bio-Management Practices
  • IMT: Principles of Lean Manufacturing
  • IT: Java Programming
  • IT: Python Programming
  • IT: Web Design
  • Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)*
  • Mammography*
  • MOA: Medical Receptionist
  • MOA: Patient Services Representative
  • OA: Legal
  • OA: Office Finance
  • OA: Office Software
  • Positron Emission Tomography

Grading Information

Grade Point Average (GPA)

The cumulative grade point average is determined by dividing the total number of quality points by the total number of credit hours of work attempted.

The major grade point average calculation uses the required courses for the student’s current major, including only the highest grade earned on each course (See Graduation Requirements). Transfer courses are not included in the GPA calculation.

Dean’s List and Honor Roll

All full-time students (Twelve (12) credit hours or more) in a major maintaining a semester grade point average between 3.50 and 4.00 receive recognition on the Dean’s List. Those maintaining a semester grade point average between 3.00 and 3.49 receive recognition on the Honor Roll.

The Dean’s List and Honor Roll, prepared by the Admissions and Records Office, is published on the Student Recognitions page of our website, and e-mailed to local or area newspapers of the students qualifying for either (based upon the student’s address of record).

Please Note: The Daily Reflector does not publish these lists.

A student with an “Incomplete” grade is not eligible for the Dean’s List or Honor Roll in the semester the “Incomplete” is received.

Grading System

The following grading system is used by Pitt Community College effective Fall Semester 1998. Prior to this date, the College used a seven-point grading system. Some curricula require a course grade of C in order to progress to the next course or term. Specific grading policies and procedures, including numerical scales, will be stated in each course syllabus.

Quality Points Per
Semester Hour
A 90-100 4
B 80-89 3
C 70-79 2
D 60-69 1
F Below 60-Failing 0
OW* Official Withdrawal 0
I* Incomplete 0
AU* Audit 0
T* Transfer Credit 0
P Pass*** 4
P1 Pass Tier 1*** 4
P2 Pass Tier 2*** 4
P3 Pass Tier 3*** 4
AP* PCC Advanced Placement 0
S* Satisfactory 0
U* Unsatisfactory 0
NG* No Grade Submitted by Instructor 0
IP* In Progress** 0
R* Re-Enroll*** 0

*Not included in computing grade point average.

**An “In Progress” or Re-enroll grade is given in transitions courses when progress has been made but required objectives for the course have not been met. It is given in lieu of a D or F grade and has a neutral effect on the student’s GPA. “IP” and “R” grades remain on the transcript. However, in accordance with PCC’s Grade Replacement Policy, only the highest grade earned for the course will be included in the cumulative grade point average (cumulative GPA).

***The “P1”, “P2”, “P3”, “IP” and “R” grades are used in transitions math and transitions English and reading courses. “P” indicates an 80% mastery of the course content. When the student’s mastery of course content is less than 80%, the student receives and the “R” grade. “R”, “IP” grades have a neutral effect on the student’s GPA. Students receiving an “R” grade in a prerequisite course must reenroll in that course and may not proceed to the sequential course until achieving 80% mastery of course content.

NOTE: Health sciences students use a different grading system. Health sciences students should refer to their program handbook for details.

Access to Final Grades

Once an instructor has submitted grades and the Admissions and Records Office has verified them, students may access their official final grades online by logging in to their myPittCC account. Students may also request an official transcript from the Admissions and Records Office.


A temporary grade of Incomplete (“I”) is issued at the discretion of the instructor if the student is enrolled past the 60% point of the course and has a “C” or better in the class but needs more than one semester to complete the requirements of the course due to extenuating circumstances. Examples of extenuating circumstances include illness or injury requiring hospitalization or long-term recovery, natural catastrophe, or comparable unavoidable developments and is not appropriate for students who otherwise fail to appear for the final examination or fail to turn in final assignments by the last regular day of the course.

When an “I” is issued, the course requirements must be completed within eight weeks of the beginning date of the next academic term, including summer. Incompletes not finalized within the appropriate time frame will convert to an “F.” An extension of the 8-week time frame may be made by the appropriate academic dean in consultation with the course instructor and department chair.

Because of incomplete work, a grade of “I” receives no grade or quality points.

A student receiving an “I” in a prerequisite course may not proceed to the sequential course.

The following exceptions to this policy apply:

  • To remove an “IP” grade in ACA 090 or BIO 094, a student must reenroll in the course.
  • Health sciences students should refer to their program handbook for details.

The procedure for assignment of an “I” grade follows:

  1. The student must confer with the instructor and request the “I” grade on or before the last class day of the semester. The student must provide the instructor with documentation of particular circumstances necessitating the “I” grade.
  2. If the circumstances are considered legitimate, the instructor completes the request for an “I” grade, including written instructions specifying the work to be completed and the completion deadline, and submitsthe request to the appropriate department chair or director.
  3. If the chair or director approves the request,the instructor and student are notified.
  4. Once the student completes the work, the instructor then submits a Change of Grade form to the Registrar via the chair. The Change of Grade form must be completed by the 8-week point of the academic term immediately following the term when the “I” grade was issued.
  5. Incompletes not finalized within the appropriate time frame will convert to an “F.”

Spring Semester 2020 Grading Procedures:

Pitt Community College continues to monitor the spread of the coronavirus, COVID-19, and the challenges it presents to us as a campus and a community. We understand these changes may have caused some extreme challenges for our students as it relates to online learning, bringing uncertainty and anxiety for those who desire to finish the spring semester.

Due to this major impact on our students, we are implementing a grading modification for our Spring 2020 final grades.

Spring 2020 Final Grading for Pitt Community College:

*There are no longer any deadlines to request to officially withdraw from spring classes. Students, in consultation with their instructors, may decide to officially withdraw up until the last day of class (Tuesday, May 5th, 2020). The instructor will issue the official withdrawal with the assigned grade of (WE) at the time final grades are due for Spring 2020.

*All courses will be graded with a grading scale of A, B, C, D, IE (Incomplete Emergency), or WE (Official Withdrawal Emergency) as directed by the North Carolina System Office. Exception: D grades will not be an option for some courses and programs. Please speak with your program advisor for details.

*No failing (F) grades will be issued for Spring 2020. If it is determined the student has earned a Failing (F) grade by the end of the semester, the instructor will issue an Official Withdrawal Emergency (WE) and last date of attendance at the time final grades are due.

*In consultation with their instructor, a student can elect an Incomplete Emergency (IE) grade instead of the final grade they have earned. The instructor will issue the Incomplete Emergency (IE) grade at the time final grades are due for Spring 2020.

*Students who elect an Incomplete Emergency (IE) grade will have until December 30, 2020, to complete the work for the given class. Any incomplete work not satisfied by December 30th, 2020, will automatically result in a (WE) grade. A limited number of programs/courses may have a different completion date for (I) grades. Instructors should communicate this date with students before issuing the (I) grade.

*The deadline for final grades for Spring 2020 is Wednesday, May 6, at 5:00 p.m. Student records will reflect final grades in Colleague Self Service and on official transcripts by 8:00 a.m. Monday, May 11, 2020.

*Given this grading change for Spring 2020, Honor Roll and Dean’s List will not be notated on student transcripts this semester.

*Students with questions about how final grades will impact their Financial Aid eligibility should email pccfa@email.pittcc.edu.

We hope these grading modifications will help ease some uncertainty and anxiety you have faced this semester. PCC remains dedicated to seeing you succeed, and we are working hard to help you complete your educational goals through the best (and safest) means possible.

We would like to thank you for your extraordinary efforts during this unprecedented time and would like to assure you once again that our campus and our community will get through these challenges.

Academic Progress

The policy governing academic progress at Pitt Community College is intended to assist the student in successfully completing a chosen program of study within a given period of time. A cumulative grade point average of 2.00 must be earned in the required courses in all curricular programs in order for a student to complete a credential.

Standards of Academic Progress Scale

The following scales establish standards of academic progress to ensure that the student will attain a cumulative grade point average of 2.00 required for graduation. Academic probation is defined as any GPA less than the GPA shown in the column below.

Scale for Associate Degree Programs
Hours toward Degree GPA
0-10 1.00
11-20 1.25
21-30 1.50
31-40 1.75
41-50 1.90
51 and above 2.00
Scale for Diploma and Certificate Programs
Hours toward Degree GPA
0-9 1.00
10-18 1.35
19-27 1.75
28 and above 2.00

This policy does not apply to students classified as non-degree (those students not working toward a degree or diploma).

Grades are available to students at the end of each semester via the web. The cumulative hours earned on the grade report includes credit hours transferred from other colleges and previous coursework taken at Pitt Community College.

Grade Replacement and Forgiveness Policies

Grade Replacement 

Students may have retaken courses to improve their performance or may have earned low grades in courses that are not required in the current major. Pitt Community College grants a unilateral forgiveness policy that automatically applies to all students: only the highest grade earned for each course and only those courses required for graduation in the selected major will be included in the major grade point average (major GPA) and total semester hours of credit toward graduation.

Highest grade earned must be for the same course. Course substitutions cannot be applied to the forgiveness policy. Transfer work from another institution cannot replace a grade earned for a course taken at PCC.

The permanent academic transcript reflects all courses attempted and all grades earned. The cumulative grade point average (cumulative GPA) includes the highest grade earned for each course.

Grade Forgiveness

Students who return to Pitt Community College after being out for a minimum of 36 consecutive months (three years) and wish to make a “fresh start” in pursuing educational goals may apply for grade forgiveness. Grade forgiveness allows for “F ,”I”, or “W” grades earned at the College three or more years prior to current enrollment to be eliminated from the cumulative GPA calculation.

The application of this policy will not affect the Financial Aid Satisfactory Progress measurement.

To qualify for grade forgiveness, students must meet the following criteria:

  • No enrollment in a curriculum program at Pitt Community College for a minimum of three years prior to current enrollment.
  • Be currently enrolled in curriculum courses.
  • Prior to implementation of the Grade Forgiveness Policy, the student must enroll in the college and complete a minimum of 12 consecutive semester credit hours with a minimum GPA of 2.00. The 12 credit hours must be hours that are included in the calculation of GPA.
  • For some programs, there may be additional or specific requirements related to admissions criteria, i.e. Health Sciences programs or Veteran’s Affairs.

Additionally, the following points apply regarding the consideration of grade forgiveness:

  • Grades earned at other colleges cannot be forgiven.
  • Students may apply for grade forgiveness one time during their academic career at Pitt Community College.
  • Students may apply for grade forgiveness if the previous course is no longer being offered at Pitt Community College.
  • Forgiven grades remain on the transcript but are not calculated in a student’s cumulative GPA.
  • Students planning to transfer to another college or university are cautioned that the receiving institution may use all grades earned in computing grade-point averages for admission or other purposes.
  • Official Withdrawals (OW) are not eligible for grade forgiveness. Please see PCC’s OW Policy for more information regarding Official Withdrawals.

To request grade forgiveness, students must complete the Application for Grade Forgiveness form and submit it to the Office of the Registrar. Students will be notified through their MyPittCC email of the decision, and in cases of approval, GPA recalculations will be made.

Privacy of Educational Records (FERPA)

Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, the rights of the student and the responsibilities of the institution concerning the various types of student records maintained by the institution are established. Pitt Community College supports the rights and privacies afforded each student by the Act and is in compliance with its provisions.

Within the College, only those individuals acting to facilitate the student’s educational pursuits shall have access to a student’s educational records. This includes instructors, advisors, department chairs, deans, Student Development Services personnel, and other staff and faculty with an educational responsibility to the student. The College will not release educational records to individuals or agencies not associated with the College without the prior written consent of the student with the exception of those situations exempted by statute in the Act.

Each student has the right to inspect and review the educational records maintained by the College that are directly related to that student. Educational records include admission documents, registration documents, grades, and other supporting documents which are maintained in the student’s permanent academic file in the Admissions and Records Office. Educational records also include tests, assignments, and grade calculations maintained by faculty in departmental files. A student does not have the right to inspect documents containing educational information related to other students.

Requests to inspect and review educational records shall be made by the student in writing to the Admissions and Records Office. The College will comply with such requests within a reasonable time period not to exceed forty-five days after the written request is made. Requests by students to challenge the contents of educational records must be made in writing to the Admissions and Records Office.

Directory information (student’s name, address, e-mail address, telephone, date of birth, major, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, and the most recent previous educational institute attended) may, at the discretion of the College, be released without written consent of the student in accordance with the provisions of the Act. A student may prevent disclosure of directory information by notifying the Admissions and Records Office in writing. Requests for non-disclosure must be filed annually.

Under the FERPA guidelines, an educational agency or institution may disclose personally identifiable information form an education record to appropriate parties, including parents of an eligible student, in connection with an emergency if knowledge of the information is necessary to protect the health or safety of the student or other individuals.

If PCC determines that there is an articulable and significant threat to the health or safety of a student or other individuals, we may disclose information form education records to any person whose knowledge of the information is necessary to protect the health or safety of the student or other individuals.

All official documents, such as transcripts from other colleges, become the property of PCC and cannot be returned or reissued. A parent or eligible student may file a written complaint with the Family Policy Compliance Office regarding an alleged violation by the school to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The Office’s address is: Family Policy Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Avenue, S.W., Washington, DC 20202-4605.

Additional information concerning the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 may be obtained from the Admissions and Records Office or the Library.


Official transcripts bear the College seal and the Registrar’s signature. If you are forwarding them to another party (e.g. another college or university, potential employer, etc.) that requires official transcript, you should not open the envelope.

Pitt Community College cannot provide you with copies of transcripts from other schools you have attended. If you need such transcripts, please contact those schools directly.

If you are currently enrolled and your request is marked “hold for final grades” or “hold for degree,” we will hold your request until grades or degree are posted, or until you notify us otherwise. The fee for transcripts, whether ordered online, by mail, or in person is $5.00 per copy.

Pitt Community College has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse to provide transcript ordering via the web. Transcripts requests via this service are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Online transcript requests submitted on weekends or while the College is closed for holidays will be processed in the order received when the College reopens. You can order transcripts using any major credit card. The charge to your card processes after your order is completed.

You must clear all financial obligations to the college before the release of any transcripts. PCC is not responsible when the student fails to notify the institution of an address change.

For further information, contact the Admissions and Records Office at (252) 493-7232.

Verification of Enrollment

Students may request verification of their enrollment at the College through the Admissions and Records Office. PCC verification requests for the current semester after the census date for that semester. PCC makes available student enrollment verification to financial aid lenders through the National Student Loan Clearinghouse (NSLC). Initial reporting to the NSLC processes after the census date for the semester. A student may prevent disclosure of enrollment information by notifying the Admissions and Records Office in writing. Student must file requests for non-disclosure must be filed annually.

Transfer to Other Institutions

Students planning to transfer to four-year colleges or universities are responsible for becoming acquainted with that institution’s departmental requirements in the intended major and being guided by those requirements in selecting curricular courses and electives. The College maintains a file of catalogs of many other colleges and universities in the counselors’ offices. The counselors and the Faculty Advisors will assist students in selecting an appropriate institution and in interpreting its requirements.

Changes in Regulations

Pitt Community College reserves the right to make changes in the regulations, courses, fees, and other matters of policy and procedure as deemed necessary.

Change in Major Course of Study

Students desiring to change major courses of study should receive academic counseling. The department chair for the new program must sign the request for the change of curriculum; once signed, please return to the Admissions and Records Office for official change.

Students who plan to graduate should not request a change of curriculum until completing all required courses in their current curriculum (although they may take courses outside the current curriculum prior to its completion). This will enable the Admissions and Records Office to evaluate all transcripts for credit under the correct catalog of record. Please refer to Transfer Credit and Catalog of Record.

Students who plan to continue at PCC after completing the program of study must complete a Change of Program declaring a new program of study.

Students who plan to pursue two curriculums simultaneously may do so by completing a request for double major with the Admissions and Records Office.

General Education Requirements

Pitt Community College defines general education as the measurable knowledge, intellectual concepts, and attitudes that serve as the foundation for success within all programs of study and throughout life. Graduates who complete degree programs are required to master two core general education competencies, which the college measures using a rubric-based assessment model. Results of our annual assessment are analyzed so that they may be used to strengthen and improve student learning outcomes in:

  • Effective communication
  • Critical thinking

Student Classifications

  • Freshman: A student who has earned fewer than 32 semester hours of credit
  • Sophomore: A student who has earned 32 or more semester hours of credit
  • Full-time Student: A student who is registered for twelve or more semester hours of credit
  • Part-time Student: A student who is registered for less than twelve semester hours of credit
  • Non-degree Curriculum: A full-time or part-time student not seeking a degree or diploma

Graduation Requirements

Upon recommendation of the faculty and the approval of the board of trustees, PCC awards appropriate degrees, diplomas, or certificates to students successfully completing the requirements of their enrolled curricula.

All students must:

  1. Complete course requirements as prescribed in the catalog of record of the candidate for graduation (see Catalog of Record).
  2. Earn a minimum of 2.0 grade point average (“C” average) in the required courses for the curriculum for which they are applying for graduation. *
  3. Clear all financial obligations to the College.
  4. Complete at least 25% of credit hours required for the degree, diploma, or certificate at the College; of which 12 semester hours must be major course work with appropriate departmental prefix designation for a degree or diploma (see Transfer Credit).
  5. Apply for graduation with by the posted deadline.

*All health sciences students must maintain a grade of “C” in all required courses for the curriculum.

In some cases, circumstances may warrant the substitution of a course for a course required for graduation. The student’s advisor, the dean, and the registrar must approve substitutions.

Students should meet with their advisors and complete their graduation checklists prior to registering for the candidates’ last semester of attendance.

Students must apply for graduation by the dates published on our website in order to graduate at the end of their last semester. Students are eligible to graduate with honors if their major GPA is 3.50 the semester prior to graduation in the curriculum from which they are graduating.

Upon recommendation of the Senior Director of Student Advocacy and/or Assistant Vice President of Student Support and the approval of the College President, specific graduation requirements may be waived.

Graduation exercises are in May and December. Degree and diploma recipients are eligible to march.

Students pay for their caps, gowns, and diploma jackets. The College provides degrees, diplomas, and certificates.

Summer Graduates Participating in Spring Ceremonies

Students scheduled to graduate at the end of summer semester may request to participate in the spring graduation ceremony.

Students desiring to participate during the spring graduation ceremony must:

  1. Make an appointment with their advisors to discuss their graduation readiness.
  2. Apply for graduation.
  3. Be within 12 hours of graduation or have approval from the dean.
  4. Register and pay for ALL classes needed to graduate in August by the published payment deadline.
  5. Pass all courses taken in the spring.
  6. Pay fees for graduation.

Summer graduates participating in the spring graduation ceremony will be eligible to receive an honor cord for the spring graduation ceremony if their major GPA is 3.5 the semester prior to the ceremony.

In addition:

  1. All requests for summer graduates to participate in the spring graduation ceremony are due at the same time requests for spring graduation are due.
  2. There will be no refunds of graduation fees if the student does not graduate.

Attendance after Graduation

Student wishing to re-enroll after graduation must complete a change of major form to establish a new program of study.

Catalog of Record

Students in continuous attendance (summer term excluded) may graduate under the provisions of the catalog in effect on their date of entry into their current curriculum, or they have the option of choosing the requirements of a subsequent issue. Students not in continuous attendance must graduate under the provisions of the catalog in effect on their last entry date into the curriculum or subsequent catalog issue. The catalog of record for a student who submits a change of major is the catalog in effect at the time the change of major is effective.

Repetition of Course Work

With the consent of their advisors, students may repeat courses in which they earned a “D” or “F” grade on the first attempt.

Any course repeated will be recorded on the academic transcript. Only the highest grade calculates in the cumulative grade point average, the major grade point average, and the total semester hours of credit toward graduation.

When a student receives an “F” in a course not offered during the remainder of the student’s residence, the student may substitute an equivalent course for purposes of meeting program requirements upon recommendation of the student’s advisor, the dean, and the registrar.

Because of the nature of the coursework, Health Sciences students may be required to repeat a course to demonstrate proficiency of skills.

Because of rapidly changing technology, many courses currently offered are significantly different from courses offered in previous semesters. Therefore, at the discretion of the advisor, and with final approval by the department chair, a student returning to school after an absence of three years or more may be required to repeat a course or demonstrate competency in that course before receiving a degree, diploma, or certificate in a particular curriculum.

All curriculum students may be required to obtain approval of the advisor to repeat a course more than two times. The student must justify the need for further course repetition.

Students are required to pass the Cisco Academy final exam and the hands-on final exam administered in NET 125 , NET 126 , NET 225 , and NET 226 with a 70 or higher in order to continue enrollment in the following course within the Cisco Academy curriculum. Failure to obtain a 70 or higher on both final exams will require the student to repeat the course.

Advising System

Student Education Plans (SEPs)

Students who have declared a program of study are required to meet with their advisor to complete and get an approved SEP. Students are only allowed to register from an approved SEP. This plan will ensure that all students are meeting their planned academic goals in a timely manner.

Students who wish to modify an existing SEP, should contact their assigned Academic Advisor for assistance.

Academic Advising

Students who have a declared program of study are assigned to a Faculty Advisors or Student Success Advisors (first-year advisors) to guide them in creating and meeting their academic goals. New PCC students who have less than 12 transferable credit hours, are assigned to a Student Success Advisor until they complete two major semesters at PCC. After new students complete two semesters at PCC, they will be assigned to a Faculty Advisor.

Academic Advising Policy Exemptions

  • Graduates of the PCC Career and College Promise (CCP) will be assigned to a Student Success Advisor, regardless of transferable credit hours earned. After completion of two major semesters at PCC, CCP students will be assigned to a Faculty Advisor.
  • Students enrolled in the PCC VISIONS Program will be assigned to the VISIONS Program Director or VISIONS College Coordinator. After completion of two semesters at PCC, VISIONS students will be assigned to a Faculty Advisor.

Advisor/Student Responsibilities

Student Success Advisors and Faculty Advisors will help students select courses, answer questions about their program of study, set academic goals, create a SEP, and ensure they are ready for registration.

A detailed list of advisor and student responsibilities are listed below:

Advisor Responsibilities:

  • Meet with each advisee to help them develop a unique SEP that will help them progress toward the professional goals they have identified.
  • Maintain contact and assist continuing students with adhering to their SEP, meeting curriculum requirements, and fulfilling their academic and professional goals.
  • Assist advisees with understanding college policies and procedures.
  • Prepare advisees for graduation through the completion of a graduation audit and guidance in making career-oriented decisions.
  • Act as the advisee’s representative when needed and provide direction for additional campus resources.
  • Post office hours, showing when available for consultation with advisee’s and students.

Student Advisee Responsibilities:

  • Contact their advisor each semester before registering for classes, so the advisor can evaluate academic progress, review their SEP, confirm program requirements are being met, and graduation is in a timely manner.
  • Meet with their advisor the semester before program completion/graduation in order to have a graduation audit completed.
  • Maintain regular class attendance and a strong GPA, seeking guidance from their advisor when additional campus resources are necessary.

For more information on academic advising, please contact the Office of Admissions & Advising at 252-493-7578.